From lobster shacks and fireflies to linen tablecloths and candlelight, Maine is all about wicked good dining!
Just a short list of Freeport, Maine and the surrounding area’s different restaurants. To help your planning, restaurants are listed in order of distance to the inn. (Maine area code is 207)
- Broad Arrow Tavern- An upscale pub located in the Harraseeket Inn. Reservations are not accepted, however, you may call ahead and put your name on the list. Serving most nights until 10 PM, later in summer. Decorated as a Maine hunting lodge. 865-9377. (Next door to us.)
- McDonald’s– Fast food emporium. (Across the street.) Most photographed fast food restaurant anywhere!
- Tuscan Brick Oven Bistro– Pizza, sandwiches, sports bar. (1 block South)
- Isabella’s Cafe- Breakfast & lunch menu, sandwiches, great desserts, casual. Picnics to go. Underneath Sherman’s Bookstore on School Street. 865-6635 (.2 miles, 2 blocks)
- Mediterranean Grill– Indoor and outdoor (seasonal) dining, look for the tiki torches on School Street. A wide variety of vegetarian and Turkish dishes. Relaxed atmosphere, separate bar/lounge area. Reservations accepted. 865-1688. (.3 miles, 2 blocks)
- Deroshiers– Right on Main St, park benches in front. Serving pizza, sandwiches and ice cream. Local beers and wines, soda, chips. Mostly take out, small dining room. 110 years in the same location. (.3 miles, 2 blocks)
- Jameson Tavern – Seafood & American specialties. Indoor and outdoor (seasonal) dining. 865-4196 (Justin’s Way, 2 blocks)
- Wanderlust Juicery – Juice bar. (Mechanic St, 2 blocks)
- Freeport Public Market – 4 different food emporiums under 1 roof: Brickyard Hollow, Cafe Crepe, Kamasouptra, Jeff’s Jamaican. Bow St. (2 blocks)
- 1912 Cafe– Sandwiches, desserts, soft drinks. Inside, downstairs between the Main Store & the Hunting & Fishing Store (just past the river fish tank in LL Bean). (2 blocks)
- Coffee By Design– Inside LL Bean, downstairs, by the waterfall. (2 blocks)
- Ben & Jerry’s– You don’t need me to tell you what they serve! On the LL Bean Campus. (2 blocks)
- Starbucks– Main St. (4 blocks)
- Johnny Rockets– casual, ’50’s- style burger joint. In the Freeport Village Station.
- Lobster Cooker– Sports bar, casual dining, indoors or out (seasonal), lobster, chowders, beer & wine. Patio dining on Main Street. 865-4349 (.5 miles, 4 blocks)
- Petrillos– Pizza, paninis & salads, pasta dishes, nightly specials, beer and wine. Eat in or take out, all-season patio dining. 15 Depot St (across from parking garage). 865-6055 (.5 miles, 4 blocks)
- China Rose– Chinese, sit-down or take-out menu. Bar/lounge right on Main Street. 865-6886 (.6 miles, 5 blocks)
- Gritty McDuffs– Casual, pub-style dining at large pine trestle tables. Pub fare, microbrews, local hang-out. Seasonal patio dining. 10% off when you show your room key. Lower Main 865-4321. (1.3 miles, you can walk if you want)
- Antonias– Pizza, salads, gyros. Lower Main St.
- Stars and Stripes Brewery – Beer and food trucks. (1.4 miles)
- Buck’s Naked BBQ– Dry-style BBQ with add-on sauces, beans, corn bread, local beers. Casual dining at oversized picnic tables, new music venue. Just past Desert Rd, Rte 1 South. 865-0600. (1.5 miles)
- Maine Beer – beer garden style, pizza & salad. (2 miles)
- Thai Garden– Take out, eat in. 491 US Rte 1 South. 865-6005 (1.6 miles)
- Athena’s Cantina – Latin American cuisine, 491 US Rt 1 South (1.6 miles)
- El Jefe Taco Bar – At the Big Indian, Rte 1 South 865-0334
- Classic Custard– You scream, I scream, we all scream for ice cream (and classic cars) Rte 1 South (1.8 miles)
- Harraseeket Lunch & Lobster– Right on the water at the Town Dock. Lobster shack style. Picnic tables inside or out. As seen on Rachel Ray’s $40/day. Huge, homemade pies. Fries, sandwiches, hamburgs & hotdogs. Oh, yeah, and lobster, too! Seasonal from the end of April to Columbus Day, hours change as days get longer/shorter. (3 miles, pretty drive, long walk)
Brunswick (most of these restaurants are about 15-20 minutes away)
- Brunswick Diner– Typical 50’s style stainless steel diner on Pleasant Street/Rte 1. (7.7 miles)
- Pedro O’Haras– Irish-Mexican cuisine, cantina-style dining on Maine Street, underneath Richard’s German Restaurant.
- Richard’s German Restaurant– Casual German-American fare. 115 Maine St
- Bombay Mahal and Shere Punjab- Indian cuisine in 2 separate storefront restaurants on Maine Street
- Henry & Marty– Eclectic fare. Maine St.
- The Great Impasta– Casual, authentic Italian (they also have a gluten-free menu). Maine St.
Topsham (driving time about 20 minutes)
- Sea Dog– Pub-style dining, micro brews. On the Androscoggin River just across the bridge at the end of Maine Street in Brunswick. (1 Main St in Topsham)
- Fairgrounds Diner– Good ol’ diner food. Topsham Fair Mall
- Kopper Kettle– Local Maine diner. Second St, Topsham.
Bailey Island (driving time about 35-45 minutes)
- Cook’s Lobster House– All things seafood on a working wharf. Pretty drive from here, about 35-45 minutes depending on traffic. 833-2818.
- Giant Stairs Seafood Grille– Good, home cookin’ in a typical Maine shack. 2118 Harpswell Islands Road (Rt 24) 833-5000
- Morse’s Cribstone Lobster – At the end of the Cribstone Bridge. 1945 Harpswell Islands Rd. Seasonal 833-7775.
Woolwich (driving time about 30 minutes)
- Montsweag Farm– Casual lunch & dinner dining, weekend entertainment. Well worth the left turn off Rt 1. 443-6563
Wiscasset (driving time about 45 minutes, more in summer)
- Sarah’s Cafe– All your favorite Maine specialties! To park, turn on Water St, just before the bridge. Rte 1.
- Red’s Eats – You have to go at least once in your life! Just before the bridge, across from Sarah’s. Rte 1.
Waldoboro (driving time about 1 hour, 15 minutes)
- Moody’s Diner– ‘World-famous’ diner in Waldoboro, stop in on your way to Bar Harbor or Owl’s Head.
Yarmouth (driving time about 15-20 minutes)
- Day’s Lobster & Crabmeat– Can’t eat it now? Ship it home. Seasonal. Rte 1 South (just before the Muddy Rudder)
- Muddy Rudder– Seafood specialties. On Rte 1 South just over the Freeport town line. On the water. 846-3082.
- Royal River Grillhouse– In the marina, overlooking the Royal River. Seafood specialties, seasonal patio. On Lower Falls Landing just off Rte 88. Take a left off Rte 1 South just past the Information Center/295 overpass onto Rte 88, go 1 mile turn left. 846-1226.
- Grill 233– American specialties, casual. Rte 1. 846-3633
Portland (driving time about 20-25 minutes)
- Fore Street– Open-kitchen dining in a converted warehouse. An out of the way spot for contemporary high end casual dining. Emphasis on farm-raised, organic ingredients. Reservations required. Fore St (Old Port) 775-2717.
- Back Bay Grill– Dressy casual, city dining, extensive cocktail menu. 772-8833.
- DiMillos Floating Restaurant– Casual dining, seafood specialties. On the water off Commercial St. 772-2216.
- Walter’s Cafe – Eclectic, open kitchen, fusion style, fish, beef, vegetarian.
- Cinque Terre– Northern Italian cuisine. 36 Wharf St (Old Port) 347-6154.
- Street & Co- Mediterranean seafood, casual. 33 Wharf St (Old Port) 775-0887
- Gilbert’s Chowder House- Seafood and chowder, casual. 92 Commercial St. 871-5636.
- Becky’s Diner– on Hobson’s Wharf, 390 Commercial St. 773-7070.
- Portland restaurants change all the time! Check the VisitPortland website for new restaurants.