Go exploring –
What to do in Freeport, Maine
Freeport, Maine is shopping. And hiking. And kayaking. And sailing. And theater. And mountain biking. And just relaxing! It’s discovering. And playing. And trying new things. It’s vacation.
Just have a few days to stay? Take a look at all the things to do in Freeport, Maine:
- Check in, settle in, review the Freeport map and plan your shopping.
- Browse the restaurant menus – think lobster!
- Take a walk downtown for some chocolates at Wilburs or coffee at Coffee by Design.
- Take a tour at one of the many craft breweries.
- Start your day with a scrumptious breakfast in the sun room.
- Stop in at LL Bean to sign up for a Walk-On Adventure.
- Wander downtown for a look at our wonderful local shops.
- Drop in for a yoga class or a massage.
- Then it’s time to put your feet up and enjoy the rest of the afternoon before heading out to dinner at one of Freeport’s excellent restaurants.
- Don’t miss breakfast!
- Spend the day on the water – hop on the Casco Bay mail boat. The cruise leaves the Portland waterfront and runs approximately 3 hours. This scenic trip around the Casco Bay is complete with ongoing travelogue and makes stops at the islands to pick up and drop off mail. This inexpensive ‘cruise’ is a guest favorite!
- Arrive back at the Inn, head over to Bow Street Market for a pre-dinner appetizer. Have cheese and crackers and a relaxing glass of wine on the porch while deciding what sounds good for dinner.
- Casual dining at the Broad Arrow or Petrillo’s or Italian specialties at Azure? If you’re here in the summer, you won’t want to miss the Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster at the Town Dock. Get there before the season ends! (Last lobster hits the pot Columbus Day weekend!)
- Another wicked good breakfast awaits!
- Today is a perfect beach day! Our favorite one is Popham Beach State Park. Check the tide map before you go to be sure you get there at low tide to walk out to the Fox Islands. Also a guest favorite for a quieter beach is at Reid State Park, just across the Sagadahoc Bridge in Georgetown.
- Maybe this is the day to grab a lighthouse guide and go for a scenic drive along the coast.
- Looking for something in town? Check out Goldenrod Garage for truly amazing antique and collectible cars and trucks. (All for sale.)
- Not enough? Check out our Things to Do List and our Blog for more things to do in Freeport, Maine.
You’re here to shop! All you need is an idea of what stores are in town. We’ll give you a map when you arrive but if you’re in the planning stages right now, here’s our list of Freeport Shopping Outlets. Also included are the smaller shops throughout town.
We are about an hour’s drive to the Kittery Trading Post and the Kittery Outlets.
Just 20 minutes away is the Maine Mall.
An hour and half away are the Shops at North Conway.
What’s a vacation without great food?
Summertime is perfect for a lobster bake, lobster roll, fried clams and shore dinners. Clam bake cruises are a short drive away.
Or, indulge in Maine shrimp in the winter and oysters as the leaves start to turn. No matter what you’re looking for, there’s a restaurant in Maine serving it!
Here in Maine for a college tour or interview? These colleges are within 20 to 60 minutes’ drive (listed in distance order, nearest to farthest):
- Bowdoin College, Brunswick
- Southern New Hampshire University, Brunswick Campus
- Maine College of Art (MECA), Portland
- Bangor Theological Seminary, Portland Campus
- New England Bible College, Portland
- Salt Institute for Documentary Studies, Portland
- Southern Maine Community College, South Portland
- Husson College, South Portland
- Bates College, Lewiston
- Andover College, Lewiston
- University of Southern Maine, Portland
- University of New England, Biddeford/Portland
- Colby College, Waterville
- Thomas College, Waterville
- St Joseph’s College, Standish
- University of Maine (UMA), Augusta
- Bowdoin College – May 25, 2019
- Bates College – May 26, 2019
- Colby College – May 26, 2019
- USM – May 11, 2019
Family Weekends: Please verify with school calendar!
- Bowdoin College: Oct 25 – 27, 2019
- Bates College: Oct 4 – 6, 2019
- Colby College: Oct 4 – 6, 2019
Honeymooning in Maine? Our week-long Inn to Inn getaway has everything Maine!
Lots more things to do in and around Freeport, Maine